The Trials and Tribulations of a Baker-Turned-Cook

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Double Chocolate Cupcakes

My new issue of Cooking Light arrived over the weekend, and this recipe graced the cover. I knew I had to make these cupcakes IMMEDIATELY. Luckily I had all the ingredients on hand. These cupcakes were very good, especially considering they are relatively low in fat and were not frosted. The only change I made was to use semisweet chocolate in place of the dark chocolate because (a) I had semisweet on hand and (b) I prefer sweeter chocolate. I will post the link to the original recipe once it is put on the site (should be next week).



Double Chocolate Cupcakes

From Cooking Light, December 2007

  • 1 C all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 oz)
  • 1/3 C unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 2/3 C granulated sugar
  • 1/4 C butter, softened
  • 1/2 C egg substitute
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 C 1% low-fat buttermilk
  • 1 1/4 oz dark (70 percent cocoa) chocolate, finely chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; stir with a whisk.
  3. Place granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well combined (about 3 minutes). Add egg substitute and vanilla, beating well. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to granulated sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Fold in chocolate. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups lined with muffin cup liners. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan; cool completely on a wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving. Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 cupcake).

CALORIES 150 (31% from fat); FAT 5.2g (sat 3.2g, mono 1.2g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 3.1g; CARB 24g; FIBER 1.1g; CHOL 11mg; IRON 1mg; SODIUM 125mg; CALC 42mg

2 comments:

Sweet and Savory Eats said...

I just picked up a copy of Cooking Light this weekend and those cupcakes practically jumped off the cover at me. Glad to know I'm not the only one seduced by them. Great job, by the way

Kayte said...

these look fabulous! i always drool over them when i see them on the front of my CL magazine :)