The Trials and Tribulations of a Baker-Turned-Cook

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Slow-Cooker Pot Roast

This was seriously the easiest dinner ever, and I threw out all my other pot roast recipes after I tasted this one. I very loosely used a recipe from AllRecipes -- I adapted it quite a bit and really only used the recipe for the gravy. The pot roast smelled fantastic, was incredibly tender, and yielded TONS of gravy -- my favorite part. Don't worry if you don't like mushrooms -- my husband hates them, and he said he couldn't taste them in the gravy at all. I like my potatoes and carrots very soft, but if you like yours a little firmer, put them in about an hour before the end of the cooking time. You can also use a smaller roast if you prefer; there are only two of us, so I used a 2# roast.







Slow Cooker Pot Roast


  • 1 pound red potatoes, quartered

  • 1/2 bag baby carrots

  • 5 1/2 pound pot roast

  • salt & pepper to taste

  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil

  • 2 (10.75 oz) cans low-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup

  • 1 (14 oz) can low-sodium beef broth

  • 1 (1 oz) package dry onion soup mix

  • 1 Tbsp. cornstarch

  • 2 Tbsp. cold water


  1. Quarter red potatoes. Place red potatoes and carrots in the bottom of a slow cooker.

  2. Season pot roast with salt and pepper to taste. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown pot roast on all sides. Place roast in slow cooker on top of vegetables.

  3. In a small bowl, mix together cream of mushroom soup, beef broth, and dry onion soup mix. Pour over roast and vegetables in slow cooker. Cook roast on LOW for 8 hours.

  4. When roast is done, remove roast and vegetables from slow cooker (leaving gravy in slow cooker) -- keep roast and vegetables warm. In a small dish, mix together cornstarch and water until combined. Whisk cornstarch mixture into gravy, stirring constantly until thickened (about 2 minutes).

2 comments:

Jaime said...

nothing as comforting as pot roast. this is very similar my mom's recipe for pot roast, except i usually don't make a gravy out of it at the end. the aroma that fills the house is amazing! your pot roast looks like it turned out great! i'm like your DH, i don't like mushrooms but the cream of mushroom soup in this is ok ;)

Christi said...

This was awesome! I loved it and I have so much leftover, nice to have a good meal and not cook later in the week!