The Trials and Tribulations of a Baker-Turned-Cook

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Fudge, Fudge, Fudge!

I made fudge for Christmas gifts this year. I usually stick to just plain fudge with and without nuts, but this year I switched it up a bit. I made three types -- chocolate with nuts, chocolate with peanut butter, and a twist on peppermint bark (white chocolate peppermint/semi-sweet chocolate). They were all incredibly easy and turned out so well. The basic recipe as well as my modifications are below.


Never Fail Fudge (from the back of the Fluff jar)

  • 5 C sugar
  • 1 large (12 oz) can evaporated milk
  • 1/4 lb butter or margarine
  • 12 oz marshmallow fluff
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 C walnut meats (I used chopped pecans)
  • 2 large (12 oz) packages semi-sweet chocolate pieces
  1. Combine first five ingredients in large sauce pan. Stir over low heat until blended.
  2. Bring to boil over moderate heat, being careful not to mistake escaping air bubbles for boiling. Then boil slowly, stirring constantly for five minutes (use soft ball test).
  3. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate and vanilla (and nuts if used) until chocolate is melted. Pour into 2 buttered 9X9 inch pans (I used one 9X13 inch pan) and cool. Yield: approximately 5 pounds.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge

I made a half-batch of the chocolate fudge above (without nuts) and spread it in a 9X13 pan. While that cooled, I made another batch, substituting 2 bags of peanut butter chips for the chocolate chips, and again excluding the nuts. I spread this on top of the chocolate fudge.

White Chocolate Peppermint Fudge

I again made a half batch of the chocolate fudge and spread it in a 9X13 pan. While that cooled, I made another batch, substituting 2 bags white chocolate chips for the chocolate chips, and 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract for the vanilla, again excluding the nuts. I spread this on top of the chocolate fudge and topped with crushed candy canes. This one was by far my favorite.

Notes

With all three batches combined, I had a ridiculous amount of fudge. I filled ten containers with fudge and still had a TON leftover. One thing I would change for next time -- for the peanut butter and white chocolate peppermint batches, I would halve both recipes because the fudge was waaaaay too thick.



1 comment:

Jaime said...

i love how creative you got with the fudge!