The Trials and Tribulations of a Baker-Turned-Cook

Friday, January 4, 2008

Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup

I saw this recipe on Foodie Melissa's blog and I knew I had to try it. I believe she got the recipe from AllRecipes.com. This was very good, and very easy for a weeknight meal. Next time I will try to use my own spices, instead of buying packaged taco seasoning.



  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 (16 oz) can chili beans (I assumed this meant red kidney beans)
  • 1 (15 oz) can black beans
  • 1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1 (12 fluid oz) can or bottle of beer
  • 2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
  • 1 (1.25 oz) package taco seasoning
  • 3 whole, skinless, boneless chicken breasts (I used 2 breast halves, and it was more than enough chicken)
  • I also added 2 cloves crushed garlic
  1. Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, and diced tomatoes (and garlic) in slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.
  2. Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and allow to cool long enough to be handled. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours. Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired. (I returned the chicken to the crock pot and just let it heat through -- the chicken was done).

1 comment:

Jaime said...

this sounds really good. i believe there are canned beans out there that are called "chili beans" that you can get...